Thursday, May 31, 2007

H One

The other night we had to entertain some business visitors to dinner; my boss wanted to go to Jumbo in Aberdeen, but, because i was fed up with seafood, and didn't want to go all the way out there, I vetoed his choice, and instead elected to try H One in IFC mall.
And what a great choice it was, too. Harlan Goldstein is, supposedly, one of Hong Kong's premier chefs, so I was looking forward to a great dinner, and I wasn't disappointed. The service was excellent: my boss, our host was always called by name, the staff were well informed about the dishes on the menu and ably recommended side dishes to accompany our meals.
Our table was right by the window in the "Seaview Room" with a view over Victoria Harbour and the skyline of Tsim Sha Tsui. To start with I had wild mushroom soup, which was very tasty indeed. This was washed down with a very nice Pinot Grigio.
For my main course I decided to have the '9' herb mustard crusted Lamb Rack, served with green beans garlic mash. As the vegetables were a bit thin on the ground we had a couple of plates of stir fried asian vegetables. To accompany this course we switched to red wine, which was a very fruity, palatable Teunata San Guido definitely a wine I will be looking out for again.
Yes I did have a desert which was sublime. The whole meal was so well done that I didn't even feel like a coffee at the end of it.
The layout of the restaurant is very well planned - the tables are not too close together - but you can still be nosey and see what other people are eating.
All in all a very enjoyable repast.

2 Comments:

At 10:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the restaurant review.

The food may be great, the service excellent, the ambience perfect, the view wonderful ...

But 99 out of 100 people will also be quite concerned about the bottom line, how much it cost.

As your boss was at the head of the table, I assume he paid, but tell us, was it worth it?

Value for money? Or is that not something that can be asked about a visit to a fancy eatery?

 
At 10:58 PM , Blogger Luke said...

Of course it can - it was HKD 1,000 per head, including wine and the obligatory 10% service charge. We could have eaten for less.
What I was trying to get across was how much the evening was enjoyable - I don't eat out enough to review restaurants fairly and objectively.
Was it worth it? I think it was:- I discovered a wine that I will certainly try again if I ever come across it, our clients went away happy, I ended up with a full stomach and fond memories.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home