Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Not tonight, Darling

I have a friend in Dalian, called Chrissie. She is a sweet girl, who works as a translator. When I was up there last time, she was admiring my mobile phone, saying how expensive it was in China, but she thought it would be cheaper in Hong Kong, and could I find out the price for her.

I was wandering along Stanley Street the other night when I saw the Nokia 8800 on sale for about HKD7350, so I sent her a text about it and letting her know that I would soon be back in Dalian. Soon I got a text back:- "Darling Welcome U bk soon! Could U also check the price of iphone from Apple? Does the system work in China? I am interested in new Nokia8800 in black"

So I replied that as far as I know the iPhone won't be available in Aisa until 2008, and as far as I knew the black Nokia 8800 was only available in Russia.

Last night I was browsing through Wanchai Computer mall when there it was, a black Nokia 8800. So I asked the salesman how much it was and he quoted a price of HKD6,300, so I quickly sent this fact to Chrissie. This resulted in a flurry of text messages heading my way from China:- "That's good! Try to make sure they have the guarantee certificate for 1 or 2 years free repair. Its a newer model comparing to yrs, I suppose.", then: "Oh, I think I miss you and I dream to visit u in HK, its a fantastic place, I love it!" and then the classic: "Oh, I think that's the one I adore! Honey, will you buy for me as a new year present!".

This last one elicited the following response from me:"If I was to buy such nice presents for all my friends, then I would soon be very poor - see you in February". And after that, I haven't received anymore messages from her. I was impressed with the camera shop next to Macdonalds, very helpful staff and not a bad price for the Canon EOS 1Ds mark II - but I will have to wait a little while before I can afford to layout that ammount of cash, especially when my 5D is working so well.

After that I headed of to Carnegies for the end of happy hour, then to Thai Food Hut for some grub to take home and eat on the sofa.

1 Comments:

At 6:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

A cunning little minx, that Chrissie! Had she at least paid a "deposit"?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home