Sunday, December 24, 2006

Ring ding dingaling ling

On Saturday morning my radio alarm awoke me from my slumbers at an un-Godly hour. I lay there, listening to some American rock ballad, without really waking up. A few minutes later the alarm on mt mobile phone goes off, and I remember that I am going on holiday today.
I got up quickly, jumped in the shower, got dressed had a cup of coffee, then I locked up the apartment, jumped in a taxi to the Airport Express station. I was glad that I had had the foresight to check in on Friday evening, as the check in counters were very busy. I took the train to the airport, and the queues there were even worse, but that is only to be expected at the start of the holidays. There was even quite big lines for the electronic immigration barrier for Hong Kong residents.
The flight with Dragon Air to Phuket was uneventful, and being a direct flight, I was happy to travel so quickly. Two other flights had landed just before ours, so I had to wait a while to clear immigration and collect my suitcase. Once I had those and had a cigarette outside I was ready to go to the resort.
Its good to be back in Patong, and all the hotel staff greeted me warmly. I showered and went out for a massage at a hut by the side of the road. I was quite sleepy under the ministrations of the lady, and every now and again she would touch me on the shoulder and whisper “excuse me, Sir, please, turn over”. It was great and set me up nicely for the holiday. I then went and had some phad thai, washed down with a couple of bottles of Heineken, and went back to my room for a siesta.
I had planned to go eat at one of my favourite outside restaurants, but for reasons that I still can’t quite work out myself, I ended up going straight to the Kangaroo Bar. One of the girls greeted me with a big grin of recognition. We ended up playing a few games of four-in-a-row. Although, I managed to avoid a white wash defeat, I was soundly defeated. After that I headed for Soi Eric, and a bar run by a Swedish friend. When I got there Nicke wasn’t there, but his delightful Thai wife Ead was, dressed in a red Chinese dress. She looked quite a picture. When Nicke arrived, he asked if I wanted to play backgammon, and he brought out a board, and I beat him a couple of times, which made up for losing at four-in-a-row. Nicke is a great host but he does like to hand out shooters. These come in two flavours: Black Death or Fisherman’s Friends. Although these go down quite easily, they are quite potent, so I didn’t hang around.
At the next place I went to, I bumped into Peanut. She was a little bit non-plussed by my arrival, but we had a good natter, and it seems that everything is fine with her life. After a few more drinks, I was well and truly sizzled. Peanut took full advantage of this situation, and ended up coming back to my hotel for the night. This was not the start of the holiday that I planned, or even envisaged, but I have to admit that Xmas is looking up.
Merry Christmas to my eight readers, and anyone else who happens to be passing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home