Sunday, February 04, 2007

Saturday photoshoot Western District

Following last Saturday's day out taking photos ,I decided to repeat the exercise this weekend. Lots of people take photos in this part of Hong Kong, but this time I wanted to be more creative, if I could and get some different ideas and angles. I started off at Western Market, quite early in the morning, before the sun had risen up above the buildings, so the light was not that brilliant.


These two shots are from behind Western Market, in both of them I was trying to capture the three dimensional aspect. I liked the second shot, of the dancers, because it is not something I associate with that area.

Then I moved along to an old style chinese tea houseo n Connaught Road. In these shots, I was concentrating on the Chinese lettering, and then someone pointed out the name of the shop cut into the steel shutters. Apparently this is the old style of indicating the shop's name.




Then I cut down an alleyway, where I came across this bright orange building, with a blue canopy. I liked the contrast of the orange and blue, but also the upper part of the building is built at an angle to the lower part. That is not a trick of the cameraa, it is actually built like that!



I really like the deep red colour of these seeds. I wanted to capture more reflection off the scoop, but that didn't work out.




I took this photo, because of the conttrast on the left of selling flowers for Valentines Day, and, on the right, selling papers for a funeral.


There were a whole row of shops selling paper decorations for Chinese New Year.




After a bite to eat I wandered up the hill to Hollywood Road, and above. I took this shot at the first YMCA to be built in Hong Kong - again I was trying to capture the relief on the stone.

A bit further on I found the Hong Kong Museum of Medical Science. A really nice old building.



Then I joined the throngs of tourists in the immensely smokey interior of the Man Mo Temple. I want to go back here some time, as I wasn't too happy with these shots.



And after all that it was time to head off and get myself a beer or three.

2 Comments:

At 9:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really like the pics, good work, try to make it a weekend thingee.

 
At 5:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Just found your blog and what a coincidence, I find someone living in Hong Kong who also shares my passion of photography! I like the photos and I think HK must be a photographer's dream.

I don't see a way to contact you aside from this comment form. Is it possible?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home