Tuesday, June 05, 2007

We Didn't Start the Fire

is a dreadful song by Billy Joel that chronicles 120 well-known events, people, things and places that happened between the year he was born and 1989 when the song was released.
During the 2-3 minutes of this "song" 56 individuals are named. Could this be some name dropping record? Last Sunday afternoon I met someone, who could almost beat that record - or so it seemed to me.
This guy was the most tedious, twisted and egotistical person I have met in a long time. I can allow him some leeway for being jet-lagged and drunk; but, what is it about me, that seems to attract these sociopaths? I mean I had gone up there for a quiet Sunday afternoon drink, and possibly some food, and I end up having my ear bent by this ex-Rupert, with him dropping names like falling leaves in a gale, and regaling to my uninterested ears his problems with his multi-millionaire father-in-law, and how he was going to get his retribution - yawn. By the time I had finished two pints I knew so much about his circle of friends and his family that I needn't have to go to Debretts for any reference to the peerage; I had already heard it.
And it wasn't big and it wasn't clever - it was tedious.
The pop video was a blessed relief.
"Rock and Roller Cola wars,
I can't take it anymore!"

1 Comments:

At 9:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once had some good advice from my friend John Cleese.

He said Joel, don't name drop.

I think it was very good advice

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home