Monday, July 10, 2006

escalator safety ambassadors

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the symbol of the MTR, here in Hong Kong, resembles a squashed cat? Legs splayed out, blood on the ground. But, I digress.

Last night, as usual, on my way home I venture into the bowels of the MTR station under my office, and last night I happened to spy a gang of Escalator Safety Ambassadors, wearing yellow tops and peaked caps, guarding the entrances to various flights of escalators.

Initially I thought this was a wonderful idea, people to help older citizens heavily laden with shopping bags get down to their train. But that wasn't the plan; oh no, these members of the Junior Anti-sex League were armed with loud hailers, and were shouting hate messages to anyone who failed to stand on the right and hold the hand rail.



So, which senior member of Thinkpol devised this wonderful scheme, and, perhaps, more importantly what is the justification behind it. Just how many people are hurt on escalators each year to give a reason for these ambassadors' existence, let alone kitting them out in nice pastel colours, so they don't resemble the quasi-military force they behave like? I am sure there are much better things these people could be doing.

1 Comments:

At 6:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally symphatise with you. Don't they get it that they themselves might cause someone to tumble down the escalators from being jolted by their bullhorn? And those yellow uniforms are enough to make anyone sick!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home