Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Rather than writing this blog, the 20 minutes could be better spent.....

Sometimes I really struggle to complete blog entries. I often come up with excuses of how I could better spend the time:-

1)The 20 minutes would be better spent doing “my job” and enabling me to maximize shareholder value.
This is a very noble sentiment. However, improving my communication skills, makes me a better employee, which helps ensure long term shareholder value. I am sure my company builds in an allowance for dips in performance, so I needn’t be concerned on this issue.
2)I could be catching up on the latest developments from that stack of journals that I have built up on the side of my desk.
Regular readers of Pipe Flange Welders monthly can attest that these are fast moving areas. Since I didn’t read the journal when it first arrived, chances are technology has moved on and my efforts will be wasted. Might as well throw them away and write today’s blog instead.
3)I could be chatting with the girls in Starbucks how their coffee could be improved.
Unfortunately, Bonny and co. don’t have access to the people best able to make any improvements; so I would be better off giving my views on my Blog, which may not be read by Jim Donald, but may be read by someone who knows him. The added advantage is I won’t have to listen about how the treatment of Eddie’s haemorrhoids is coming along.
4)I could attempt to solve one of those tricky outstanding mathematical problems like what is the mechanism responsible for breaking the electroweak gauge symmetry, giving mass to the W and Z? Is it the simple Higgs mechanism of the Standard Model?
Then again this is a tricky one, especially as I struggle to do simple addition without a calculator and no one likes feeling stupid. To get a better feeling of accomplishment I had better write my blog instead, you don't need a diploma and 12 years advanced mathematical reasoning experience to tell everyone what I think.
5)I could sit at my desk doodling on a piece of paper for twenty minutes.
Whilst I am sure that Google is finding a way of tracking what people put in their waste paper bins and getting them analysed by the New Hampshire Psychographic Institute, I guess it’s a lot easier for people to find out what my views and opinions are if I put them on the worldwide web.
6)I made a New Year's Resolution to do more exercise. Instead of completing my blog, I could go out and join a gym.
Again another noble sentiment but "get real". It's already July and I haven't done anything about it. Two-finger typing over a 20 minute period completing my Blog will actually burn up 4 calories. Not much I know, but at least it's a step in the right direction.
7)If I was a master in the art of Tai Jindo I could actually re-group my energies by sleeping undetected at your desk
Unfortunately mastering Tai Jindo takes years of training. Most people fail to reach the "golden plateau" level and get found out by snoring or knocking over their coffee when their head slumps to the desk. (For the record, I was just examining my keyboard very closely and yes I can do that with my eyes shut). Anyway completing my blog can be equally relaxing and allow your Chi to regenerate before you take on the rest of the day.
8)I could spend some time chatting to Shirley in reception about how unreasonable the company is.
Get real, she's never going to go on a date with me. Especially if I waste 20 minutes of her time with my moaning. To avoid another rejection; I will take the time to write my blog instead.
9) I haven't got time right now, I'll make an entry tomorrow. Honest.
Before than I could get headhunted by Donald Trump or Alan Sugar, I could be struck by lightning; I could gain fame and fortune by being on reality TV. But in all reality, I could achieve more with my blog, so I might as well keep it up to date.

1 Comments:

At 4:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd better be posting because we need our daily fix of blog read -- that's the only reason!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home