Friday, June 02, 2006

Chi Lin Nunnery


Wenesday was a holiday, so instead of getting into the madness of Dragon Boat Racing, I agreed to take Peanut and her friend to Chi Lin Nunnery at Diamond Hill. This complex is an oasis of calm in the middle of the mayhem of Kowloon. The gardens are beautifully tended, and the wooden halls containing the Buddhas are pure art work, not a single nail was used in the construction, only a few screws for the door hinges.
After that we went to Hollywood Plaza where there is an amusement arcade. Peanut was keen to play the machines, so I changed a hundred dollars, and we sat down at a machine where you slide the counters in and try and make the counters at the front drop off the shelf. We were doing great and a stream of yellow tickets was pooring out of the front of the machine. I had to change another hundred dollars and by the end we had stacks of tickets. Over to the prize counter and the tickets were counted: 2966. I let Peanut chose the prize and the best she could do was a towel - damned expensive towel but it was fun.
Had a look around the shops and had some food, then headed for the Avenue of the Stars. Took the obligatory photos.

Then it was back to Wanchai on the Star ferry. Peanut wanted to go to the market, with Oh, so I said I would wait for her at Carneggies, where I could get a beer. Normally when I walk down Lockhard Road with Peanut I am ignored by all the gogo bar touts, but this time it was like an obstacle course. I reached Carneggies safely and had a couple of beers; Peanut turns up with loads of shopping and I have a couple more beers, which meant we had to stay for Crazy Hour. Bought some dodgy DVDs and went back to the apartment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home