Thursday, April 27, 2006

What a noise!


Here, I am safely tucked up in the wonderful isolation of a luxury hotel in the middle of Mumbai, and in many ways, that is how I like it. However, as much as I am protected and cosseted here in this manner, there is one thing that I cannot escape from, and that is the continuous cacophony of noise.

The noise makers work in shifts around the clock; during the day time it is the continuous use of car horns by impatient drivers trying to warn other drivers of their approach, or venting their frustrations on their lack of progress through the jammed streets around the hotels.

At nights, when the traffic has eased off, the packs of wild dogs take up the orchestral baton to disturb the peace. Occasionally the sounds are superimposed with the wailings of an ambulance siren.

Such a series of discordant clamours will leave a lasting memory for me of this wonderful city. Today my conference has finished, and tomorrow I am visitting a training school, before heading off on my holidays.

1 Comments:

At 5:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that pic the hotel you're staying at in Mumbai? It's lovely!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home