Thursday, July 13, 2006

For a nosey parker its an interesting job - but is it safe?

Fifty-two percent of all people who take their own lives in Hong Kong do so by jumping; which, when you consider how many tall buildings there are here, is not so surprising.

So, yesterday afternoon, whilst gazing out of my office window I spotted someone climbing out of a 22nd floor window of the Alliance Building, you can imagine what I expected to follow.

I was greatly relieved when instead of jumping he spent the next ten minutes perched on the window ledge, cleaning the outside of the office windows.

Should the worst happened and he had fallen he wouldn’t have hit the pavement, but landed on a flat roof eighteen floors below.

There seems to be a different perception to personal safety here, than in the West, but, I still can’t believe what that guy did.

I did get a picture with my mobile phone but it didn’t come out at all clearly.

"Now its a job that just suits me,
A window cleaner you would be,
If you can see what I can see,
When I'm cleanin' windows"

George Formby, 1936

I bet, given the choice he would have used Apple Mac, as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home