Saturday, June 16, 2007

Chicken or the Egg?

Having had a run in with a loud German lady the other week at the Bulldog Bar, you would have thought I would have learnt my lesson and steered well clear of ladies drinking Chardonnay. But, no, last night again I got laid into by a loud, wine swilling, middle-aged Australian lass.
We had actually met the previous evening when she told me her life story and how she was going through a rough patch with her husband. So last evening, I was a tad surprised when she comes to the bar with her husband, who came over on the ferry to take her back to Macau. He turned out to be a thoroughly decent and nice guy completely unlike the picture painted by his wife.
Anyway she was on her second glass of Chardonnay, when she turns to me and says, "I bet you can't tell me the answer to something." I asked her what, and she replied "What came first the chicken or the egg?". I said, "That's easy. The egg came first, naturally." Her reply was, "You can't prove that".
So I tried to explain my logic that at some time in deep history two non-chickens mated and produced an egg that contained, through a slight mutation, a chicken as we know it - therefore the egg must have come first. Her reply was that I wasn't there so I couldn't possibly know. I replied that you don't have to be at a particular time or place to know that something exists.
Now, her voice starts getting louder "But you haven't answered the question", she screeches at me.
This carries on for a while with her voice getting screchier and louder. I was very thankful when her husband dragged her away for a meal.
Of course, I was wrong; neither came first, as the egg contains a chicken embryo - so they both arrived at the same time.

4 Comments:

At 2:19 PM , Blogger Spike said...

I seem to run into variations of people like this every time I set foot into the Bulldog in LKF. A good argument for staying out of there.

Though I do kind of like their food and appreciate that the kitchen in the Wanchai branch stays open very very late.

 
At 2:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem quite intelligent.

Maybe you know the answer as to why the chicken crossed the road?

 
At 5:48 PM , Blogger Luke said...

Sir, had you known the Chicken for as long as I have,
you would not so readily enquire, but feel rather the
Need to resist such a public Display of your own
lamentable and incorrigible Ignorance.

 
At 3:37 PM , Blogger expat@large said...

I think i know that woman you are talking about... Beware: Attack of the 50ft Zombie Divorcees imminent!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home