Wednesday, June 07, 2006

They say the only difference between a good haircut and a bad one is two weeks! I needed a haircut and I had no idea where to go. There seems to be a whole range of places from simple shacks that will cut your hair for a few dollars or fancy saloons that will charge you more than a thousand bucks.

So I settled on middle of that range and booked a stylist at Toni & Guy on Wyndham Street. I booked it for 5.30, reckoning I could walk from my office to there in time, but forgetting I would arrive all hot and sweaty. Anyway I sit down and my stylist comes over and introduces herself, and asks what we are doing today, so I told her: "Short back and sides, slightly longer on top, please". She seemed happy with the clear instructions, and called some bloke over to wash my hair.

Soon I was back in the chair and she was snipping away with great gusto. I had the opportunity to check out the place and its really a bit scruffy, with peeling paint and damp patches and poor lighting. Actually the lighting is too bright. I mentioned it to the stylist and she said they had been having problems with it for years, especially when doing highlights and tints.

I have been to Toni and Guys in the UK, and they have the uniform of black or white, but one day each month they are allowed to wear whatever colour clothing they like. This is not the case in Hong Kong, and my stylist was going to tell her bosses. OOPS hope I don't start a walk out by HK stylists demanding the right to wear different colours.

It also seems that staff at T&G have to have their hair done there, albeit free of charge, but by their friends. Hmm seems a bit restrictive to me, and what if you are having your free hair do and your friend actually doesn't like you - could be fatal.

Anyway an hour later, I walked out looking like a new man, and my wallet was 400 bucks lighter, so I had to walk round to Lang Kwai Fung to get some benefit from happy hour and restore the balance.

2 Comments:

At 8:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know we have a standard joke in the Philippines whenever we see someone just had a haircut. We asked them, Is he dead? We are referring to the hairdresser or barber, the person might have murdered because he's got a bad haircut. Well, I'm relieved to hear that you seem happy with yours. But 400 bucks? I've never spent that money on my hair when I was in HK. But then I didn't go to T&G. Just glad to hear you had a good haircut enough to brave going to Lan Kwai Fong right afterwards! Well, enjoy your last few days as a free man.

 
At 1:50 PM , Blogger Spike said...

Were you in Carnegie's last night? Thought I saw you leaving, was going to say hello but you were moving too fast.

Go to QB (Quick Barber) on Wanchai Road, $50 for a haircut. If you need a little more than that, you can find lots of places along Wanchai Road that will do haircut and shampoo for around $100. I tried T&G once, didn't think it was worth the money for the amount of hair I have left.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home