Saturday, July 29, 2006

And then there were two...

It's getting late have you seen my mates
Ma tell me when the boys get here
It's seven o'clock and I want to rock
Want to get a belly full of beer

My old man's drunker than a barrel full of monkeys
And my old lady she don't care
My sister looks cute in her braces and boots
A handful of grease in her hair

Don't give us none of your aggravation
We had it with your discipline
Saturday night's alright for fighting
Get a little action in

Get about as oiled as a diesel train
Gonna set this dance alight
`Cause Saturday night's the night I like
Saturday night's alright alright alright

Well they're packed pretty tight in here tonight
I'm looking for a dolly who'll see me right
I may use a little muscle to get what I need
I may sink a little drink and shout out "She's with me!"

A couple of the sound that I really like
Are the sounds of a switchblade and a motorbike
I'm a juvenile product of the working class
Whose best friend floats in the bottom of a glass

So it all kicked off last night in Joe Bananas, and the whole crew of the Enterprise were recalled to their ship.

For me the evening had started out in Carneggies, watching the All Blacks beat the Wallabies. It wasn't too crowded in there, I wonder if the US Navy being in town has kept a few of the locals away from Wanchai?

Later on I wander towards Delaneys, but am waylaid by the ladies outside the gogo bars. I decline to go in but stop and have a chat with one of them. Personally, I don't like these establishments, but I like to have a laugh with the people outside. It may be fine in the summer; but, standing out in the cold on a January night can't be fun.

After that I walk past Delaneys, but it is dead, now that the rugby is finished, so I head towards Neptune II. The door is being guarded by three Americans, wearing blue T shirts with the letters SFG on them; I remember thinking how appropriate, as they were all Short Fat Guys.

Downstairs was busy, but not packed, and I managed to get a seat at the back of the bar. The band was behaving itself, and playing music you could actually dance to, and the girl was singing. I am sure they don't read this blog, but I didn't hear Freebird all the time I was there.

There were several very pretty girls there last night, including three from Laos. First time I have met any Laotians in Hong Kong.

It wasn't too late in the evening when one of the SFGs got on the stage and told everyone that everyone from the Enterprise had to go back to their ship. Everyone on the dance floor started chanting "recall, recall". A lot of the girls were looking totally bemused by all this.

Standing at a urinal I overheard two US Navy guys saying that there was, probably, about 500 people on duty aboard. That must have been a hell of a logistics job getting the rest of the crew back on board.

Neptune started to fill up about now, so after the second announcement for the crew of the Enterprise to go back to their ship I decided to leave. When I got outside, I found out that it had all kicked off in Joe Bananas and the HK police had cancelled the shore leave for the whole crew. Another perfect example of how the actions of a few mindless idiots can ruin a good thing for a whole lot of people.

I decided to see the damage at JBs. It was really quiet in there, but there was no obvious signs of any damage. I got chatting to a really cute little girl behind the bar, who said that watching the fighting was fun (but she was glad that she was behind the bar). Soon JBs started to fill up again, and I had had enough so I headed back to the arms of Morpheus.

2 Comments:

At 3:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Wanchai girls were probably sad to see the US Navy get recalled.

PS. You seem to be following Australian footy a lot. I just like to watch the All Blacks perform the Hakka.

 
At 7:08 PM , Blogger Spike said...

It's SLG, not SFG - Shore Liaison Guard or something like that. A lot of Thai girls who are from the most eastern portion of Isaan will identify themselves as Lao - culturally they're closer and they have a loose relationship with geography, amongst other things.

I was outside JB as the fighting started to intensify. The doormen warned me away. Later I came back to find the riot police out in force. See my post on the topic ...

Sassy - most of the more experienced Wanchai girls refuse to go with the Navy guys. They find them too wild and don't feel safe with them. Last night a lot of the regulars ran off to Lan Kwai Fong for safety.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home