Monday, July 31, 2006

An unhealthy interest in typhoons

When I came to Hong Kong, for my reconnaissance visit in February, I was given a “cultural briefing” by the agency tasked with finding me a home. This briefing was done in their office near Lang Kwai Fang, and consisted of the manager of the agency showing me on a calendar how many public holidays there were in Hong Kong, and then showing me all the different weather warnings, and telling me that every year we lose about 5 days work due to typhoon warnings. I have since found out that this is an exaggeration, but I have developed an unhealthy interest in typhoon warnings for the area.

So far I have been disappointed in the lack of typhoons heading for here. This year, so far, we have only had Chanchu, which merited a typhoon warning level 3, and Jelewat where we got to level 1. However, I have an inkling that the next one may do a little better. Tropical depression 7W is just east of the Philippines and is forecast to track towards Hong Kong. It should be called Prapiroon, when it develops into a hooly, but the Philippines have already named it “Henry”.

So, why this interest in Typhoons? Well, I am just looking for some time off, I suppose. My first experience of a Hurricane was about 25 years ago in the Gulf of Mexico, and that was exciting. The next was a few years later, in Mauritius, which caused the airport to be closed, and delayed my first visit to Hong Kong. Since then I have managed to avoid them.

I know that they bring damage and injuries, even fatalities; and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, but it is a fact in this world that there are destructive natural forces – and if it brings me some time off – then bring on Prapiroon!

1 Comments:

At 4:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke, don't ever live in Sydney. There are no goddamn typhoons here! Having lived in countries within the typhoon (& earthquake as well)-belt area (Manila, Tokyo, HK and Guangzhou), I really miss a calamity. You can't give any excuses for not getting to work say your place is flooded or there are no trains running, etc. And you expect to get to work everyday. No typhoon-spotting here.

PS. When I lived in Lamma, my boss used to let me go early bec. of announcements of ferry service cancellation. Perhaps you should move to Discovery Bay. Nahhh -- too sterile!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home