Monday, June 25, 2007

Quick trip to Dalian

The other week, I had to go to Dalian for a couple of meetings. I made the mistake of leaving the arrangements to my Chinese colleague; who made a complete and utter balls upo of it. I arrived at the Shangri-La Hotel to find there was no reservation in my name, and the hotel was full. My colleague rushed to get his briefcase to show the hotel booking, and, lo and behold, he had made the booking for the following week. There was nothing else for it, but to go next door and pay the walk in rate at the Furama Hotel. On the way there I was kicking my colleagues backside for not using the company travel agent to save a few pennies, had now resulted in us paying more money and me being totally pissed off at his inadequacy.
Last week, I had to go there again, but it was a last minute deal as we had to wait for someone to fly in from Korea. By the time the meeting was fixed, our company travel agent couldn't get a room at the hotel, nor could I using the Golden Circle website, but of course my colleague could using his Chinese website. Having double checked that he had booked the room for the correct night I set off to Dalian.
When I got to the hotel, everything was in order. The hotel was full, but they gave me a free upgrade to a suite (which pleased the company bean counters, as the suite came with a free breakfast), and because I was returning there for the nth time they had a present for me; a small panda toy dressed in a Shangri-La chefs uniform. Of course they had to get a photograph of the receptionist handing me the present.
The bar at the Shangri-La, F2, seems to have made a few changes - there is a quite good band from the Philippines, other entertainments, but they seem to have cleared out the working girls. The girl who comes round with the humidor of cigars, used to be dressed in a pin stripe skirt and jacket; now, she wears jeans and a superman t-shirt. There is a new girl on the desk, Sabrina, who seems to be one of those party all night and sleep all day girls.
So finally I have Dalian sorted out. Its a city that is certainly getting busier and more expensive. Probably the Shanghai of the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home