Friday, September 14, 2007

"Please hold the handrail and mind the step"

What music to my ears, to hear that announcement. Having been away from Hong Kong for four weeks I new I had arrived home.

There were very few highlights to the trip, and many disappointments. This has strengthened my resolve to try and make my life in Asia. Some of the highlights: visitting old friends and renewing acquaintances, drinking real ale, meeting up with Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi (Status Quo) in the business class lounge at Heathrow Airport, going to see a stage production of Stomp!, drinking real ale, going to see the ex and the kids, and drinking real ale.

Some of the disappointments were 5 quid for 1/2 litre of beer in Copenhagen, British Airways cancelling my flight from Copenhagen to the UK, getting a flat tyre on the hire car and finding the spare was useless, 5 pounds 60p for a packet of ciggies, not being able to smoke anywhere,

One of the surprises was my daughter, who is now 12 years old. Me and my ex seperated when she was very young and my ex soon re-married, So both my kids see him as Dad, whereas I am just an 'uncle' who visits every now and again. Now she is 12, K is going through the stage where she knows absolutely everything, and is always right. She was telling me about her super mobile phone, and asked what I had, so I told her that it was a boring old Nokia. Shortly after my phone went off, and when she saw it she was very impressed, "Thats not a boring, old Nokia, that's one of their best phones!" Soon she was trying to transfer all sorts of files via bluetooth, which left her mum gobsmacked. "How can she do that when she doesn't have your phone number?" Mum asks.

I don't know whether to be worried or amazed that a twelve year old girl knows all the mobile phone models.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home