Friday, November 03, 2006

With a heavy load on a long journey

They say that there are two dimensions to learning Mandarin: i) Reading and Writing, and ii)Listening and Speaking.
I have been concentrating on the former, because, its easier, more useful to me, and I enjoy talking to people more than writing (now, that's an admission from a blogger!).
Given the numbers of Chinese language blogs I don't see how my being able to write Chinese will improve things.
My refusal to bother with Chinese characters really gets my Mandarin teacher upset: "you will learn so much more about Chinese culture if you can read and write Mandarin" OK some of the simpler characters, say 3 or 4 brush strokes I can handle, but when you get chareacters like
亀 I just draw a blank
Finally, I have moved onto book 2 of the Survival level, and it has been hard going - my Chinese colleagues insist on speaking English and won't let me practice my Putonghua, I am not getting across to the Mainland as often as I would like, and I am only having one lesson each week for two hours.
But I now have a new tool to learn Mandarin, which is Chinese podcasts, that I download for free from www.chinesepod.com, stick them on my iPod, and when commuting to and from work I can listen to Ken and Jenny discussing Chinese phrases.
The podcasts come in four levels:-newbie, elementary, intermediate and advanced. By far the most podcasts are in the newbie level, which suits me just fine.
Sometimes, I even have the coincidence of hearing a podcast that relates to the lesson I just had, for instance yesterday in the lesson I was learning about the seasons and weather; then, walking to work today the key word in the podcast was leng (3rd tone) meaning cold, so I am going about the office asking everyone "ni leng buleng?", and they all think I am mad!

My boss is in the UK at the moment and has been talking to the HR department (dangerous!), so , sends me an email asking how long I wanted to stay in Hong Kong, and what did I want to do after I left Hong Kong. Well I have only been here part of a dog watch, so it seems a bit early to be thinking of moving on, but in my company foreign assignments tend to last for upto three years, and foreign assignments are hard to come by (3% of the staff world wide are on foreign assignments, and the number is going down), so I reply to him – how about I stay here for another twenty years and retire, but at the very least until 2010. He seems happy with that plan, which to me is great, and means that I can settle into life here in Hong Kong, and carry on learning Mandarin. Of course, just because he thinks it is a good plan doesn’t mean that it will pan out that way. I have seen too many instances of people getting settled into a new role and beginning to make things work well, and then they are moved on to pastures new.

Anyway the weekend is coming up, so a few drinks with P tonight, and see what happens next!

3 Comments:

At 11:06 AM , Blogger Spike said...

Just in case things head south with P, one thing I've learned is that there is no shortage of Mainland Chinese women living in HK who would love a western boyfriend. Not only would it help you with your language study, but the fact that you're studying putonghua makes you 27 times more attractive to these women.

I know exactly where you are, because I did a month of mandarin lessons in Shanghai last year and have had so little opportunity to use it in HK that I've probably forgotten half of what I learned.

And do pay attention to the written characters. Trust me, learning a few hundred characters made a huge difference for me.

 
At 11:52 AM , Blogger Luke said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve. I have a colleague, here int his office, who is learning Mandarin using the pillow talk method, and he seems to be doing well!

I do try and pay attention to the charecters, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

 
At 3:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire people who make an effort to learn thelanguage of the locals. It means they're eager to learn the culture at a deeper level. So good on you Luke(and Steve as well)!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home