Sunday, February 17, 2008

Leica Mate

As you may be aware, I am a bit of a shutterbug. I have acquired a frightening amount of camera gear, since I have arrived in Hong Kong. Most weekends will find me weighed down with a camera bag, tripod and all sorts somewhere in Hong Kong taking photos.
Last week I acquired a new digital camera, the Leica M8. It's a rangefinder camera, which is quite different from the SLRs I normally use. One of its advantages is its size; not only is the camera smaller, but the lenses are too.
Yesterday, I went around Central taking pictures. Its a great camera, not easy to use. Focussing is a pain in low light situations, but overall I was impressed. There are situations where the SLR will beat it hands down, but it definitely has a place in my armoury.
During my walk I noticed that the old Central Police Station was open to the public, as it was hosting an exhibition, so I took a look. The building, especially the jail, was very interesting. It was a little bit difficult to get a true feeling of how the place was, as the exhibits tended to dominate everything. Some of the exhibits were very interesting. Its a sort of cross between an architecture/design exhibition and a protest against modern decay in Hong Kong and how to preserve Hong Kong's heritage.
There were several people there with large camera bags and tripods, and me walking around with my camera which fits into a baggy pocket on my jacket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home