Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Monsieur Impoli


Of course I have heard the stereotype of the rude French, and I have dismissed it. There are rude and polite people in every nation, and most of the French people I have met are far from rude, maybe a little distant to start with, but certainly not rude.
In a recent remake of the Mr Men series, for British TV, Mr. Rude was given a french accent. This was not intended to cause offence, and was meant to be light hearted and tongue in cheek. Unfortunately, it got blown out of all proportions when a French Embassy official decided to comment that a farting cartoon character with a Gallic accent called Mr. Rude will not improve relations with Britain. How petty, its a kids' TV series - get a life.
Today I met a rude Frenchman; I was outside our office block, having a cigarette, when I was approached by a Frenchman demanding to know if the building was numbber one one eight. So I told him that it was number 168. Then he demanded to know where 118 was. I asked him "Do i look like a postman? How should I know? Try over there" pointing towards Central. He then demands to know if its far, so I said that not only wasn't I a postman, i wasn't a guide either and that I had no idea how far it was - seems strange he just stormed off - not a please or a thank you. Yes i may have been rude, but he started it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home