Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Secret Policeman's Ball

Last evening, went and had a chilli con carne with some colleagues from work at one of their appartments out at Pok Fu Lam, and very nice it was too. By the time we left I was in the mood for going out a bit longer, so I went to Joe Banana's. They had a Corona promotion going, which was very pleasant to watch, but a little bit crazy - very few people whose tickets came out in the draw were there to collect them; mind you with such exciting prizes as cigarrette lighters, travel bags and a beach towel, its hardly surprising.

Anyway, I found myself a space by the bar, and was enjoying myself, watching the comings and goings, when a young lady comes and stands next to me. Unfortunately, for her the two Chinese guys sat next to her, on the other side light cigarettes, and the smoke is drifting straight into her face.

Taking this as a cue, I strike up a conversation; her name is Wee, she comes from Issan, has been here two weeks, its her first time in Hong Kong, and she doesn't like it very much, but must send money home to her papa, who is looking after her seven year old daughter. Probably much the same story as you would get from most of the Thai girls you meet in Wanchai. It doesn't help that she doesn't like cigarette smoke and doesn't drink.

After she asks, I tell her that I will be going home alone that night as I have to work the next day, so she asks if I am a policeman! A policeman?, I ask, what makes you think that? Apparently it was the beard! Not having seen a policeman with a beard in Hong Kong or Thailand, I was a little taken aback, but thought it quite funny.

Went home around midnight to find there was a peaceful military coup going on in Bangkok, so I ended up staying up far later than I intended, and now I feel as rough as a badgers arse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home