Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The worst chat up line in the world?

"Spartans! Enjoy your breakfast, for tonight we dine in Hell!" is not the way to pick up women. In fact, even in a place where all you need to say to pick up someone is "Hello", the Spartans line will leave you standing in a space five metres clear of anything with two legs. But this was the advise I was offered last night.

Fortunately, despite eager encouragement, from a certain person to try it, I was not drunk enough to pretend to be Gerard Butler. I don't look like him and I don't have a Glaswegian accent!

I don't know about anyone else, but was Hong Kong busier than usual this morning. The walkway between IFC and my office seemed busier, and people seemed to be striding with a greater urgency than usual. And, the traffic seemed busier than usual on the road. Maybe I missed something or perhaps it just that it's spring.

Finally, a la Fumier, to the lady driving a powder blue BMW saloon - sorry I didn't get the registration number, I was too busy giving the driver a withering stare of contempt. Lady, if you do decide to park in a bus stop lay-by to bring your husband to work, then buses will be forced to stop in the road because you are blocking the lay by. When the bus doors open it usually means people are going to get off the bus, so, this is probably not a good time to pull away. I would have stopped to remonstrate with you further, but I was late.

3 Comments:

At 4:17 PM , Blogger expat@large said...

Damn, I was going to try that line this weekend! Thanks for the heads up!

People rushing in IFC - wish we had some of that in Singapore. They are the worst 'drifter' and 'floater' pedestrians ever - even worse than Sale Day in Causeway Bay! It's all I can do to restrain myself from fixing elbows and taking as many of them out as I can...

 
At 4:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact, I did tried that line later on last night, hehe. Nice meeting you Luke, sorry if I drank too much, too fast and being too loud.

 
At 12:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know. If I were out someplace, some guy standing up and shouting that wonderful line would get a chuckle from me and might prompt a conversation about the trend to CGI or the "300" workout. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home